How Can You Prepare for the School Year in the Face of COVID?
As the summer days come to a close and the start of school is around the corner, parents are struggling to make the decision to send the kids to school or keep them home for more online learning. I know this is not an easy decision and is creating added stress to families. I believe each family needs to base their decision on what is best for their child(ren) and family.
Many kids enjoyed and thrived during the online learning while others wanted to be back at school in a classroom setting. For parents, fulfilling their own work commitments was a challenge while assisting with home schooling. Despite the precautions being taken by schools, parents are still concerned about sending their children back. How do you prepare for all that is ahead?
Here are Six Ways to Help Keep Your Immune System Strong
With all the uncertainty about the course of COVID and whether there will be a next wave, it is important to keep our immune systems strong and ready to fight battle.
- The integrity of our gut is more important now than ever.
- Getting the proper amount of sleep is a critical component when it comes to health. You can reference my previous article on sleep for the recommended hours per age.
- A diet high in fruits, vegetables and whole grains will provide the body with important vitamins and nutrients to boost the immune system. Make sure to incorporate all varieties and colors of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Avoid processed foods and foods that are high in sugar as they can wreak havoc on the immune system.
- Incorporating some form of exercise into your daily routine will also help your body and immune system stay strong.
- Certain vitamins and minerals can be beneficial in boosting the immune system such as Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, zinc and magnesium. If your diet is lacking in these nutrients it may be important to supplement to be assured you are getting the recommended daily allowance. If purchasing supplements, read labels and be cautious of those with additives and preservatives and sugar. These tend to be more like glorified candy.
Keep Your Family Healthy
Please feel free to schedule an appointment to discuss how to to get all the right nutrients in your diet. If supplementation is a consideration, I am happy to discuss high quality options with you. Keeping your family healthy during the coming months is my goal.