How it works
Salt is naturally drying and pulls fluid out of the ear. When the salt pack is heated, the heat offers relief of pain and the Himalayan salt forms negative ions which are known for their ability to bind to pollutants, bacteria and infection, thus drawing moisture and infection from the ear. Lavender is naturally antibacterial and the addition of the lavender flowers helps to soothe and reduce inflammation. Lavender is also calming and the scent helps to induce restful sleep.
- 1 organic cotton muslin bag (easier to tie) or white cotton sock (no colors or markings on the bottom or it will melt)
- ½ cup Himalayan salt crystals (regular coarse ground salt will work as well. but these seem to hold heat better and does not leave a salt dust)
- Optional: 2 Tablespoons dried lavender flowers (or 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil placed on pack once heated)
- Place salt and lavender in muslin bag or sock and seal tightly.
- Heat the bag or sock in a pan over low heat (carefully) until warmed or microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Make sure the pack is warm to the touch but not hot enough to burn and place over the painful ear.
- Warm and repeat as needed for relief of ear pain.
While this remedy will help provide relief for ear pain, it is not a complete remedy for an ear infection. Seek medical attention if there is drainage from the ear, fever, poor feeding or concerns that there is a more serious infection.